Tooth Extractions – Encinitas, CA
Removing Teeth That Could Compromise Your Oral Health
Tooth extractions are never our first line of defense against oral health problems; we want you to be able to enjoy your natural pearly whites for your entire life whenever possible. However, in some cases, we must remove a tooth to prevent additional oral health problems from developing. In that case, one of our talented Encinitas dentists will carefully extract it, ensuring you don’t feel any pain or discomfort in the process. To learn more, you can schedule an appointment with our team or read on!
Why Choose McElroy Smiles by Design of Encinitas for Tooth Extractions?
- Start-to-Finish Dental Implant Treatment
- Same-Day Emergency Appointments
- In-Network with Most PPO Insurances
Reasons Why Tooth Extractions Are Necessary
We typically recommend tooth extractions in the following cases:
- A tooth is decayed or damaged beyond the point of being repaired.
- Gum disease has deteriorated the foundation of your teeth, causing them to become loose.
- Crowding is preventing you from achieving your ideal orthodontic results.
- An accident has caused a tooth to crack.
- A tooth is impacted below the gumline.
Fortunately, if we recommend a tooth extraction in Encinitas, we can replace the missing tooth with a dental implant or bridge to rebuild your smile to be complete and even healthier.
The Process of Removing a Tooth
Whether you need an impacted wisdom tooth extracted or a severely decayed tooth removed, the first step is always the same: numbing your mouth. Once you can’t feel anything and you’re ready to begin, we will proceed with your simple or surgical extraction.
Simple extractions are conducted when a tooth has fully erupted through the gumline. In this case, we’ll simply use special tools to gently rock the tooth loose. Surgical extractions are a bit more involved because it requires a tooth below the gumline to be removed. After creating a small incision in your gums, we will divide the tooth into small sections and safely remove it from there.
Tooth Extraction Aftercare
Following your appointment, we recommend:
- Avoiding all tobacco products, including e-cigarettes.
- Taking OTC pain medication as instructed.
- Keeping your mouth clean to prevent infection.
- Not lifting anything heavy or exercising.
- Keeping your head elevated while you sleep.
- Eating soft foods, like soup, scrambled eggs, yogurt, and oatmeal.
- Not using a straw or spitting.
If you’re ready to schedule your tooth extraction, don’t hesitate to schedule an appointment with our emergency dentist. Of course, you’re also welcome to get in touch if you have any questions about this treatment – from the actual process of removing your tooth to the associated price.