Sleep Apnea Treatment – Encinitas, CA
Better Sleep Means Improved Health
As many as one billion people in the world experience some form of sleep disorder, including obstructive sleep apnea. Without timely treatment, this condition can have extensive impacts on not just your quality of rest and ability to function, but also your psychological and physical health. Our dentists at McElroy Smiles by Design of Encinitas offer customized sleep apnea treatment with oral appliance therapy to help minimize your symptoms and allow you to reclaim your life.
Why Choose McElroy Smiles by Design of Encinitas for Sleep Apnea Treatment?
- Experienced Team of Dentists
- High-Quality Cone Beam CT Diagnostic Scans
- A Comfortable Alternative to CPAP Therapy
What Is Sleep Apnea?
Obstructive sleep apnea is a medical condition that can be diagnosed by completing a take-home or in-lab sleep study, and it’s one of the most common sleep-related breathing disorders in the world. It’s defined by intermittent breathing lapses while you sleep due to a blocked airway. Some common symptoms that obstructive sleep apnea can cause include:
- Daytime drowsiness
- Dry mouth upon waking
- Morning headaches
- Chronic, loud snoring
- Awaking throughout the night while gasping for air
- Mood changes
- High blood pressure
If you notice two or more of these signs, our team recommends visiting a sleep doctor to receive a diagnosis so you can begin looking at treatment options.
Sleep Apnea Treatment Options
There are two main treatment options for obstructive sleep apnea:
- CPAP therapy involves placing a mask on your nose that continuously pushes air to keep your airways from becoming blocked. While some people have no issue with this therapy method, others find it too uncomfortable or loud to sleep peacefully.
- Oral appliance therapy is what we offer. We’ll create customized appliances that you’ll wear as you sleep to keep your tongue and other muscles from blocking your airway, causing sleep apnea episodes.
To learn whether you can benefit from oral appliance therapy, give our dental office a call today!