Many people put off routine dental cleanings or checkups due to inconvenience or understandably, due to COVID-19. However, dental emergencies are different. There are conditions that can cause serious complications and endanger your health and they should never be put off. It is critical that you contact our office if you are having a dental emergency. We will be able to advise you and guide you to getting the treatment you need as safely as possible. Our dentist in Encinitas, CA, explains more here.
Be Aware of Dental Emergencies
If you have oral health risk factors or untreated dental problems, stay aware of changes to your teeth and gums. If you’ve been suffering from a toothache or have a cavity, you are at risk for developing a dental emergency. An untreated cavity can progress into a root infection or abscess, both of which can spread to the blood and cause a blood infection.
Emergency Conditions and Symptoms
Conditions that require emergency care tend to cause severe pain that interferes with daily functioning. Some conditions include:
- Symptoms of oral cancer – this includes sores and bumps that do not resolve themselves
- Abscess – can cause severe pain, bad breath, a boil-like protrusion and pus
- Root infection – the decay and bacteria from a cavity travel down the root of the tooth, causing an infection
- Broken tooth or trauma – if you have a broken tooth or have had a tooth knocked out, seek out emergency care immediately
- Severe toothache – if your toothache is incapacitating, it is crucial to have it evaluated
Quitting smoking, drinking more water, and limiting your intake of sugar will aid in preventing cavities and tooth loss. In addition, frequent brushing and flossing can help you avoid dental problems that lead to emergency visits. We all want to avoid unnecessary visits to the dentist, so make sure you maintain good oral hygiene!
Contact Our Dentist in Encinitas, CA, For More Information
To get in contact with our friendly team at McElroy Smile by Design, call our Encinitas office today at 760-237-0648!